Saturday, February 19, 2011

This Week on the Island 02/20/2011




'This week on the Island' is written by Doug Bennett and is an update to friends about happenings in Key West last week. Everything is true except for those parts that are lies.----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The pictures this week (click to enlarge) are ‘a flower’, ‘a key deer’, and ‘moon over the bight’.

Weather: Another wonderful week. It did rain a bit last weekend and gave me some time to work on our taxes.

This week I read ‘Fearless Fourteen’ by Janet Evanovich. I have read so many of her books now that I feel very familiar with her characters in her books.

Corrections from last week: Key West Tea and Spice Company on Green Street didn’t close, it moved to the 400 block of Green Street. Also, I have been told that Historic Tours of America (HTA), that recently reacquired the Schooner Western Union also acquired a large outstand loan that they must now pay.

It was a February afternoon. It was a beautiful day, in the mid 70’s, lots of blue sky and a few puffy white clouds. I was sitting at Schooner with my wife of 40 years and my two Siberian husky’s, Boca and Sassi. I was drinking my 2nd adult beverage and smoking a small rum cigar. Michael McCloud was playing and I was thinking, ‘life don’t get no better than this’.

I have spent some time this month painting around the house. We have been here 10 years now and have done a lot of maintained to this old place. We painted the inside, replaced the carpet upstairs and tiled downstairs when we moved in. We put in central air and heat.We had to replace the floor in the upstairs bathroom, we replaced the front porch, we replaces the kitchen cabinets, we have replaces almost all appliances, we replaced the old water heater with an ‘instant water heater’. We recently replaced the concrete deck upstairs and put in a spiral staircase. These old houses need a lot of attention.

My little Suzuki Samurai quit on me Thursday night. The clutch quit working. It is in the shop for the weekend and should be all better soon.

The wooden steps leading up to Jimmy Buffett’s recording studio on Key West Bight were replaced this week.

Key West, You have got to love it
'Living the life that others dream'
Doug Bennett
Lat 24.5591N, Long 81.8016W

You may join this group by going to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ThisWeekontheIsland/

Sassi dancing to Schooner Wharf Bar Dog.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbxD3D-rPqo