Monday, February 28, 2005

This week on the Island 05/16/2004

'This week on the Island' is written by Doug Bennett and is an update to friends about happenings in Key West last week. Everything is true except for those parts that are lies.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week was my birthday. The big 60. I seem to be in pretty good shape. My friends were telling me I don't look a day over 59 1/2. I am 6 foot tall, weigh 185 pounds and have a 34 inch waist. My blood pressure this morning was 120/75. I walk, ride my bicycle and kayak for exercise. I think I have a good chance of making it at least to my next birthday.

On my birthday, I decided I was going to do what ever I wanted to do! (How would that be any different than any other day?) I visited a couple museums in town and then Jo and I went for a flight with the Key West Air Force. It consist of one, bright orange, WWI bi-plane. It was wonderful. Then we went to Schooner Wharf to share my birthday cake with our friends.

This week is the APBA Offshore Grand Prix. (Nascar at sea). We have talked about them in the past. Noisy boats that race around in the water. The wait people enjoy them as they normally leave big tips.

Key West Songwriters Festival this week. This gives many of the local songwriters a chance to play in clubs like Hog's Breath, Rick's, etc. Most of them are not that good.

We began work on replacing the front porch this week. We installed three 8 x8 support beams down stairs and the same upstairs. Now that we have the roof supported we can begin to tear out the upstairs porch next week.

The wind started blowing in Febuary and is still blowing. It makes it hard for the people that make their living on the water. For those of us on the land, it has brought cooler weather than normal. It is in the mid 70's at night and the mid 80's in the day with very low humidity. I love this weather.

Key West, You have got to love it.
Doug Bennett